Join the BACP Register
You must be a BACP member before you can join the BACP Register. There are two ways members can become registered:
- If you have successfully completed a BACP accredited course you are eligible to join the Register straight away. You just have to confirm your acceptance of the Register Terms and Conditions.
- If your course was not BACP accredited you will need to take our Certificate of Proficiency assessment first. Once you pass the assessment, you can join the Register by completing the Terms and Conditions.
You can accept the Terms and Conditions online. Click on the Join the Register button below and log in. The system will confirm your eligibility. Follow the instructions on screen to complete your registration.
If the system says you are not eligible for BACP registration but you believe you have met the requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can check this for you. Student Members and Retired Members are not eligible to join the Register.
To log in you will need your membership number and your password. If you are unsure of your password, please use the request a password reminder from the log in screen. If you need any further guidance, please contact us.
Don't forget the deadline!
Individual Members have 24 months from the date of joining this membership category to join the BACP Register.
Any remaining MBACP or Accredited / Senior Accredited members who did not register by the 31 March 2016 deadline must join the Register before their next membership renewal date or their BACP membership will end. However, any members who still need to pass the CoP will be able to renew as an Individual Member as long as they have taken or are booked on an assessment.
You will need to complete the Register Terms and Conditions again, or renew your registration, every time you renew your membership.
Why should you join the BACP Register?
The BACP Register is free to join and demonstrates to prospective employers and clients that you adhere to high standards of proficiency and ethical practice. Increasingly employers are expecting applicants to be registered when they are recruiting for counselling posts.
By becoming a Registered Member, you will:
- be able to use the designatory letters 'Registered Member MBACP'
- have your name recorded on the BACP Register showing you are a registered Counsellor/Psychotherapist
- receive a certificate of registration and unique logo that you can use for advertising (letterheads/websites)
- validate the standard of your practice
Supervision and CPD
The Register sets requirements for supervision, continuing professional development (CPD) and audit which you agree to under the Terms and Conditions. You can find out more in Supervision, CPD & Audit.
Find a Therapist directory
The BACP Register lists all members who meet our registration criteria, providing names and generic localities but no contact details.
If you want to advertise your services to people looking for therapy, you can pay for a listing on our online Find a Therapist directory. This is located on our It’s good to talk website, designed for the general public, and receives almost 250,000 views a month. For details of fees and how to apply please see join Find a Therapist.
The BACP Register provides links through to Find a Therapist listings.